In my previous blog ” VMware Appvolumes 2.12 released – What is New? ” we saw that the new release of App Volumes has the role based access level capabilities. It has only “Read-only” role for now, this a great news as this would benefit for large enterprises to provide role base access to Level 1 (help desk team) support team to perform first level of support.
This has been added as a tech preview feature for now and based on the customer feedback VMware will confirm the availability of general feature soon.
By default, the read-only role environment variable is disabled with its value set to 0.
Note : The Tech Preview features and capabilities are not supported for production deployment, rather they are available as a preview of potential upcoming innovations to test in a lab or UAT environment.
Grant Read-Only Role in App Volumes Manager:
- Login as administrator to the machine where the App Volumes Manager is installed.
- Go to Properties of Computer > Advanced System Settings.
- Click on Environment Variables.
- Click on New under system Variables.
- Set the environment variable AVM_ENABLE_READ_ONLY_ROLE to 1
- Go to App Volumes Manager and click Configuration > Roles.
- Now you will be able to see Read-Only role in the drop-down menu.
- You can now add the users/groups and assign read-only role. I have created a new group “AppVol_Helpdesk” and assigning Read-Only role. Click on Create.
- You will now see Role Assignments under Roles.
- Once the roles added , go ahead and restart the Appvolumes Manager services.
- Make configuration changes to the App Volumes Manager.
- Create or import AppStacks
- Make storage configuration changes
- Add or remove Active Directory domains
- Add or remove Machine Managers
- Create, import, or update writable volumes